Poll

What platform would you run Quetoo on if it was on Steam?:

Health Tanks

April 03, 2009 - 03:52am

Alright, I started working on new health tanks a week or so ago and didn't really get past UV mapping it due to my brother dragging his girlfriend home for spring break. Suffice it to say, it was hellish. Thankfully, they're gone, good riddance, I can go back to fiddling with my code and art projects, including the health tanks (and any other bits of Q2W I pick up on). Oh, and I bring pictures for eating.

So, the health models now suck - you can try to argue this with me, but the end result is that they suck really hard and that's not going to change. Shut up and accept your fate. >_> Now, I tend to bitch a lot about the art, and then I get bitched at a lot (looking at you, kevlarman) for not doing anything. This was mostly due to quake2world using formats that nobody can actually export to, but now we gots OBJ support and that's a non-issue for static meshes (animated meshes are a different issue and not my area).

Until I get materials for models, this is where I'm going with the health tanks so far. I'm not proceeding on these until I get some manner of input from Jay, and since he's disappeared for the time being, you get to poke at them. They'll be released under the WTFPL whenever they're done.

Small health tank

Medium health tank

Large health tank

The lighting on some of them, particularly the medium tank, can at times drown out the white cross on the item. I'm still not sure if I have a solution to that short of hoping the player isn't colorblind (apologies in advance if I can't find a solution, colorblind peoples). I have a plan to deal with this provided I have materials, something like the following effect on the tank:

Tank liquid concept

Feel free to ignore the following block of text
The idea being that the outer rim of the tank will be lighter (I suppose it's faking rim lighting, but whatever), while the inside of the tank will be darker, preferably with bubbles floating about inside of it. I know how to do this, I just can't do it right now. The only thing I need that I don't know if it's supported is a spherical environment map option for a material stage. Should only take four stages (I can do it in three, but I need four so that lighting could hopefully be disabled on the cross), so hopefully that's possible with the existing material system.. I'll figure it out later if I get to use materials with models.

April 03, 2009 - 11:53am

I like those, especially the green ones! :)

April 03, 2009 - 06:32am

I have nothing constructive to add, but thats some nice geometry and nice textures!

Say hi to 1970 for me :)