Poll

What platform would you run Quetoo on if it was on Steam?:

Plasma wall climbing - Bug? Or unintended feature...

April 24, 2009 - 15:47pm

q2 still remains my favorite FPS of all time. Why? q2 movement. It was something relatively easy to learn but is hard to master. The way you gain speed by strafe/circle jumping was unintended. But it added a really fun element to the game. It kind of feels like your doing the running yourself when you get the hang of it. The double jumps also fall into this category.

q2w actually takes these "bugs" to a new level, which is one of the reasons it also is more fun than your average FPS.

I am new to q2w and jdolan just showed me how wall climbing works the other day. He was saying he was probably going to "fix" this.

I have to say wall climbing was a blast. It also adds new crazy jumps you wouldn't even expect are possible. The biggest downside of having this in is of course, is the ability to get to the powerful items that aren't meant to be acquired that way. This would easily be solved by designing maps with this in mind. Such as a simple edge that stuck out a tiny bit.

Neat tricks like this are easily to learn, and hard to master. It would be something that would appeal to newbs and vets alike.

(This would be sweet to have wall climbing in rocket arena/team arena mode too!)

One thing that I think would be good change though, is make it slowly kill your armor and health off. Perhaps a small splash damage radius if it doesn't add too much overhead on this fast firing rate weapon.

Bug? Hell no, I say unintended feature!

April 28, 2009 - 13:58pm

intended feature!

April 24, 2009 - 15:57pm

Yes it was worded like you were going to fix wall climbing.

Well that's good to hear, you scared me! Bastard. ;)

April 24, 2009 - 15:54pm

Haha, sorry, I must have been unclear. Plasma climbing itself is most definitely a feature. The bug is around the uber-jump that is possible in certain corners of some levels. I can hop on again this evening and show you exactly what the bug is.

Have no fear, plasma climbing is a very intentional feature that adds to Q2W's gameplay. It is there to stay.

April 25, 2009 - 12:46pm

Arena gameplay is already in game. Try those:

\vote g_gameplay (0-2)

where 0 - DM, 1 - instagib, 2 - arena

and then eventually:

\g_teams 1/0

April 26, 2009 - 08:18am

Gameplay types have aliases, too -- in case you don't want to learn their numeric counterparts :)

vote g_gameplay arena vote g_gameplay instagib vote g_gameplay deathmatch

April 25, 2009 - 13:57pm

Yeah I meant the wall climbing in arena mode, I was under the assumption jdolan was going to take wall climbing out. =]