Poll

What platform would you run Quetoo on if it was on Steam?:

Quake2World is the name of the game!

September 28, 2008 - 11:25am

Gotta change it now, or I'll go insane!

Hey there people! I'm wondering about the name of the project: Quake2World.

It sounds like 1. "Quake II" and 2. like "QuakeWorld"

Quake II seems still protected by trademark, QuakeWorld apparently not.

But the trademark issue isn't really all that important to me, what is more of importance: 1. Keeping the current name might make people thing that the project is official. 2. it might make people think that it's YAQE (yet another Quake engine) that's what I thought when I first saw the project months ago - and ignored it. 3. it's not very original 4. it indicates that the project is a clone, rather than an own project

About 4. : I'm not knowledgeable about Quake games and this project. Perhaps this is a clone project, then the name might be a good choice.

I think that the engine name (quetoo) sounds pretty cool. So "quetooworld" would make sense to me. (though there might be much better names to think of.)

So what do people around here feel about the name? Would you prefer a different one or do you find q2w the most possible fitting one?

July 28, 2009 - 08:51am

I'd go either way, wouldn't mind=] I have a 98.798% confirmed belief that The Name,"Quake 2 World," partly plays as an historical allusion to possibly the first *VERY* considerable effort to make online gaming a viable(as in the way we perceive viable today) phenomenon, with the release of the Orignal Quake 1's client, Quake World. From my fading teenage memories, I remember that client making very solid improvements to a way a game's engine handled online play, as in better ping response, or whatever else I'm not and possibly will not again remember lol. From THAT perspective, it makes sense that the person who dubbed Quake 2 World Quake 2 World would choose that name, Quake 2 World, as Quake 2 World goes to almost the same lengths to improve the feel and response of the an outdated(in perhaps another 100 years, cuz I am a Quake 2'r yo=]) engine, from a Quake 2'rs perspective of the game, Quake 2 World.

OK and then, I also think that even though when I first joined up in the "#quetoo" channel(which I knew had something strongly to do with q2w(I give up=])) sounded very Hispanic; I then scrutinized the written content of this very website, and saw no Hispanic language in site(pun intended, sight=D), and then thought to myself: HEY, what a coincidence...=D The name Quetoo, once detached of any notions of it being a Hispanic derived term, sounds hmm, how should I put it? Evil as Hell. =D

For example. Say someone comes across this game and says, "quetoo? What is a quetoo? My suddenly apparent lack of not making sense out of everything in the world now scares me to death."

See? Evil as hell=D

April 16, 2012 - 02:10am

I was going to say that unless it's an identical clone of Q2, then the name shouldn't say Q2 anywhere. But, PkzRelaxin makes a great point. It does seem like it tries to honor Quake 2 while improving on it. So I think unless Id is going to re-release Q2 with multiplayer improvements, then the name is very fitting.

October 11, 2008 - 19:05pm

I like the name. :)

spirit

September 28, 2008 - 20:58pm

Personally, i like the name Quake2World. Quetoo reminds me too much of spanish class. It also makes for a spiffy logo and a cool "q2w" abbreviation, and i think it seems as official as it could probably be in this state. but it isn't really about that.

From my understanding, quake 2 is basically quake 2 game playability with exceptionally greater graphics and eye candy, as well as openGL2.0 support.

I like quake games. they are by far my favorite and the id tech engines are purdy good too ;)

as far as that, i don't have a problem with the name, but you manage to point out a couple arguable points.

September 25, 2009 - 12:20pm

quake 2 plays very differently compared to q2w imho. But I too prefer q2w!